Justin Beasley, DDS - Bleaching

At Home Bleaching Tray Instructions

 

For initial bleaching, 10 to 14 continuous days of 30 minute bleaching sessions will be necessary before results are sustained.  Lower strength bleach may take two hours. Once the level of whiteness you want is obtained, bleach only when necessary.

 

There are different strength bleaches.  35% Bleach is only effective for 30 minutes. 25% and lower are effective for two hours.  Leaving the trays in longer than these times will have no effect.  Bleach strength is labeled on the side of the syringe.

 

Your teeth fill most of the tray and therefore it is only necessary to place a small bead on the front surface of the tray.  Excess bleach will extrude out the side of the trays and must be removed either with a Q-tip or finger so as not to bleach the gums. Brush teeth before gently placing tray onto your teeth. Rinse any of the excess bleach that is missed with the Q-tip. Do not swallow rinse.  After bleaching, simply rinse excess bleach.

 

Crowns, bridges and tooth fillings, both silver and white, cannot be bleached.  These will remain the same color.  If natural tooth is noticeably whiter than the old filling, the filling will have to be replaced to match the new shade of the tooth.  Amalgam or “silver’ fillings may leave a stain in the tray after bleaching. This is normal.  Teeth are naturally darker around the gumline. These areas may require more time to bleach and it may not become as white as the rest of the tooth.

 

Coffee, tobacco, dark sodas, and red wine can restain your teeth over time.  If this occurs you may have to touch-up with another bleaching session as needed.  Food and drinks high in citric acid can cause sensitivity immediately after bleaching.  Try to avoid for one to three days.

 

Regular cleanings are important before and after bleaching treatment.  If decay is present on teeth before bleaching, you will have an increased chance for sensitivity.

 

A small percentage of patients can experience sensitivity.  Sensitivity is usually temporary.  If sensitivity continues, let us know.  You may have to decrease frequency of bleaching or decrease the strength of the bleach by switching bleaches at our office.

There may be temporary discomfort of the gums, lips, throat, or tongue depending on the quantity of bleach used.  These side effects should subside within one to three days. A small amount of bleach is safe to swallow. Notify our office if symptoms continue. 

 

Store bleach out of the sun and heat.  For over two months storage, better longevity can be obtained by refrigerating.

 

Please call us at 721-2676, if you have any questions. We are happy to help.

Testimonials

View More
ACCESSIBILITY